Updated: Dec 21, 2020
We hear a lot of talk about wearing masks to protect other people from Coronavirus. But what can we do to make sure we are as healthy as possible to be able to fight off viruses?
Of the people who died from Covid in the US, 94-99% had other diseases. Most common comorbidity diseases of Covid patients in New York were high blood pressure, diabetes, and obesity. Chronic inflammation is the key driver in many diseases such as type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer, cancer, and heart disease.
Managing inflammation is essential to a healthy immune system.
1. Maintain a healthy weight. One of the major contributing factors to chronic inflammation is being overweight or obese.
• About 40% of Americans are overweight or obese.
• 1 in 10 people have diabetes or prediabetes and 90-95% have type 2 diabetes, which can be reversible with lifestyle changes.
2. Improve your gut health - 95% of your immune system is in the gut.
• Hydrate - 1/2 body weight in ounces is a good target
• Eat a variety of anti-inflammatory whole foods - fruits, vegetables, healthy fats, clean meats
3. Avoid inflammatory foods such as:
• Sugar and artificial sweeteners
• Processed foods
• Refined carbs
• Processed meats- lunch meat, bacon
• Hydrogenated oils
• Vegetable, canola oil
• Dairy can be inflammatory for some people
4. Don’t smoke
5. Sleep- Sleeping less than 7 hours make adults more susceptible to getting sick compared to those who sleep more than 7 hours.
• 150 minutes of moderate exercise per week is recommended
• High levels of physical activity and exercise improve the gradual deterioration of the immune system in older adults aged 55 through 79, compared to those in the same age group who were physically inactive.
7. Manage Stress
• Discover the cause of stress.
• Focus on having a positive mindset.
• Find ways to relax.
• Get a pet.
• Foster healthy relationships.
• Seek help from a professional.
8. Limit Alcohol Consumption to 1 to 2 drinks per week.
Being proactive with our health habits can give us a fighting chance when it comes to avoiding the affects of viruses.
Yours in health and wellness, Trainer Joy
#guthealth #gut #immunehealth #improveguthealth #stormfitnessnova #healthcoach #healthandfitnesscoach #dcfitness #dchealth #healthyliving #gethealthy #healthylife #fitfood #cleaneating #healthchoices #fuelyourbody #nutrition #personaltraining #coronavirus #covid19 #boostimmunesystem #immunesystem #healthyweight #sleephygiene #chronicinflammation #healthyweight #exercise #antiinflammatory #stressmanagement