Enjoy Thanksgiving the Healthy Way! 🦃🍁🙏
Just because turkey day is around the corner does not mean you should toss your fitness goals to the wind. In fact, Thanksgiving can provide a wonderful celebration of abundant nutrition and thoughtful gratitude for taking good care of ourselves.
If you struggle with how to get through the big day in a healthy way, here are some tips to help:
1. Have a plan. Prepare accordingly knowing that you can stick to your fitness goals AND enjoy the holiday – really!
2. Focus on fun, not just food. Fill your day with good things as well as filling your plate with delicious food.
3. Eat breakfast. Don’t try to wait and “save your calories” to arrive at Thanksgiving dinner hungry, which is a recipe for overeating every time.
4. Turkey is a nice, lean protein choice, which you can surround with other healthy sides (think vegetables for fiber!). If you have holiday favorites, indulge in moderation; sometimes just a taste goes a long way.
5. Drink water! This can help to curb your appetite and prevent dehydration between alcoholic beverages. And watch those liquid calories by making smarter choices.
6. Breathe and indulge mindfully. It’s easy when there’s so much food on the table to just start eating it all, but if you pause to think about the wonderful tastes and sensations, it will be so much more fulfilling.
7. Get active! Start your day with a quality workout to get those endorphins pumping, whether at a gym or at home. After your meal, instead of a nap, take a walk, or enjoy another favorite activity.
8. Do not “diet,” set unrealistic goals or strive for perfection. An “all-or-nothing” attitude is not productive on holidays or any other day of the year. Focus instead on maintaining your weight and being your best self with no regrets.
9. Make time for YOU! The holidays can be extremely demanding and add extra stress to our already busy lives. Plus, all those family obligations can be overwhelming. So in addition to carving the turkey, be sure to carve out some quiet time for yourself too.
10. RELAX! It’s just one day, and think how much better you’ll feel if you enjoy it but don’t overdo. Either way, you can start fresh on Friday, but wouldn’t it be great to roll right into it knowing you’ve kept your nutrition and fitness routine on track? There is no greater investment than YOU!
Here’s to enjoying happy and healthy holidays filled with food, fitness, family, friends and fun!